04 May 2006

Blistering through the Wild.......!

What a tough week it has been. Loaded with adventure, fatigue, work, rehabilitation and ultimately moving into another joint in Dar Es Salaam.

Yeah, so let me start off from last Friday. Basically my day was caught up with work as usual and then I set off to Dar for the weekend not knowingly that I will return on Saturday (because of incompitence from my local Indian joint venture partners) and was stuck on site untill Saturday afternoon. I had to get back home to start packing some of my stuff to move over to my second residence in Dar and as well packing some bike spares and accessories. Saturday was clearly dedicated to change my road tyres to offroad tyres and this I would like to add as well. Well, changing the tyres on my bike is kind off a simple procedure, but it is fucking hard work and eventually around 8pm Saturday night I have managed to change it and I was kind of proud achieving my goal.

Well, Sunday morning was the big day. This was the day that I'm getting sucked into the biker philosophy and experaince what amazing Tanzania has to offer not knowing really what she witheld from me. Around 8am Sunday morning I geared up and set off to our meeting point at a TOTAL garage called Bonjour. Couple of minutes later the guys starting pulling in and I start making the aquitances....and of coarse checking out everyone else's wheels. Little bit of chitchat, breakfast with yoghurt and a good couple of Redbulls and off we went.

It was about a 10km drive on the tarmac and there it stopped. Into the fucking bush and doing our thing.....Offroad here we come! As usual I was so fucking lost in the bush......just kept an eye on the guy about 30m infront of me with difficulty due to that I was the "NEW" boy in town and they made sure that I will suffer the descent way. Fucking mud flying everywhere and hardly could glare through my Scott goggles. I guess if it was dry roads it might have been a little bit easier, but we eventually crossed about 8 rivers in flood, puddles of water that was at least 1.5m deep full of water, thick sand roads and only following these little walkways. There is absolutely nothing else......Maybe a couple of villages in between where I guess that these guys never ever even seen Mzungu's before and we just fucking cruised the shit out of the place.....It kind of felt doing the DAKAR Ralley where everyone heard the noises coming from the exhaust systems from a distance and just waiting on the side of the road cheering us on....It kind of felt really special.

But this is not what I really expected. I know now why they say MotorCross riders are one of the fittest sports people around and it didn't take me long to feel a sensational feeling of wanting to puke down the helmet with the helmet on my head. My god, this is really tough shit! Around 12pm it felt that my life was about to end and there was no way forward. It felt that I wanted to throw in the towel and go home, but thank god for perserverance......... It could maybe a couple of times easier, but most of the time it felt that I could die any moment. The best was crossing my first river. With my luck I knocked a puddle at least 2m deep and yeah, I drowned my bike in the river under water. I thought this was it....Goodbye my beast......But know, my fellow riders and friends jumped in, help me and the bike out and then starting stripping the air filter out. I felt the comfort of very motivational words and then they started my bike up again and telling me that come one, we have just 100km left in the bush.....Fuck bru, weird, emotional draining but satisfactory shit going on. I eventually decided there are only 2 ways out...Either the bike wins and I will always be the pussy or I will win.....and then I lost all respect for this fucking beast of a machine and throttled the shit out of it and right now my wild beast of a mustang is sooo tame and gentle like a baby. I took it by storm.

Around 6pm we got to the other side of Dar and settled for some supper. Keep in mind that we all were fucked of riding anduro 10 hours long. And then very complimentary words saying I'm a wild card and I handle the beast pretty amazing in the bush.....Awesome for putting 75bhp on a single axle through the bush running it in all the gears. Ja man, that's the way to go......

It was unbelievably wet for this time of year around in Tanzania and the guys were pretty confident that this was really a tough introduction to this sport for me. But hey, this weekend I will definately go again. Monday morning, I woke up early just to go and clean my bike and do some settings and did an oil change as well. So right now, she is pretty laid back and clean.......and me, pain stretching all over my body and just sooooo tired.

So guys, this is all what my interesting weekend was all about.

Ciao for now