18 March 2006

Frankfurt & all About it!

It is Saturday morning and this morning I woke up and thought about what I have done exactly one week ago. It made me realise a lot of things and that I'm really happy just being me.

To start off this posting, I just had to wait a while to basically re-climatize again in my new surroundings or rather reality and I have to say that I could not have been happier than ever before. Not that my Europe tour was bad in any sense! NO, not at all! But it did open my mind in a lot of ways and made me realize how lucky I really am. Let me get back to the original heading of this post first.

So, Friday night (One week ago) I left Paris with a lot of thoughts in my head including that my trip was getting to it's end and I just went out to enjoy my last couple of days in a foreign country. OK, I know, almost every place is foreign for me. But it's all about what you make from it.

I arrived in Frankfurt am Main to go and visit Kerstin. By now I basically found my way around Germany all on my own and I really felt confortable traveling alone. It's just sometimes important to share your experiances with the person you truly love and .....Ja. was auch immer. Not that it is a problem for me anymore, it's just that to let you all know out there you can really enjoy everything out there all on your own. So, landed at Frankfurt International airport, found my way down to Flughaven Haubahnhoff (Airport Central Train Station) and and caught the S8 train to Frankfurt Haubahnhoff. Only 3 stations away on the S-Bahn (Strasse Bahn).

Getting on the train I met up with this guy speaking English. The first question you probably would always ask someone speaking your language in a foreign language dominated country (to you of coarse) is actually: "So, where are you from?" This guy replied that he is from Germany and my first remark is that you actually speak fucking good English! So, going over where we're from and we're we were going too and then that most famous sound over the train intercom that says: "Nachster Halt.......Frankfurt Haubanhoff......Austeigen Bitte". This was my stop! I called Kerstin up and she told me to take the "Sudwarts" Exit and so I did. Waiting for about 15minutes, I saw the first time the car I have heard so much off....That Red French Renault Clio and inside was Kerstin and another girl I met back in Mauritius, Anne-Katrine. Nice one Gordon, this weekend will all be about chick (tussy) things. Handbags, What I need to where and bla bla bla!

So, said Hallo to both of them and trying to sort out the boot of the car to fit my gigantic suitcase (koffer in Afrikaans & German) and first we had to get rid off Kerstin's amazingly huge white icebear. So, then we set for a local bar. That's what I like about Germany, first the greetings and then the Bar/Pub or the nearest bottle store. Not Becks Gold.....Tussy Bier! So, the problem as always was to find parking in Germany first....We went into this pub and exchange info from both sides of the last 3 months or so. Man, was it fun. Drunk in a way, but fun. We set home and went to bed with me still dressed with my work clothes and my suitcase (koffer) still in her car at the bar.

Next morning, we first had to go and fetch the car so that I could catch a shower with clean clothes and way from the tie. Our plans were to go to the Commerzbank building (the highest building in Frankfurt with every 4rth floor with a garden of a different theme but also the office of Anne-Katrine), but unfortunately of security reason they had to notify the security in advance to bring someone new to the building and....ja, we ended up going to another tower close by. Who would trust an African/me in a banking city like Frankfurt anyway? So, a lot of floors going up, 5 Euros later and finding out that Kerstin has closterphobia we reached the top. Amazing! Just soooo fucking amazing and you could see all of Frankfurt and that is where I have taken most of my Frankfurt pictures from.

After that we took a tour to Frankfurt seeing places like The First Parliment House of Germany and of coarse the Dom (Cathedrial). Every town or city in Germany has at least 35 Doms. After that, well it was time to go and rest or Kerstin rather. The evening we went out to a typical Frankfurt restaurant serving ciders. Well, this is not like Savanna or Smirrnoff....It was basically applejuice with a lot of alcohol. Kerstin told me that if you are not use to it, it could kind of fuck you up in a strange and weird way and it could make you do things that you would rather try and forget the next morning. Something like waking up the next morning with a very huge ugly woman sleeping next to your side and the worst part is that you can not even remember her name. Something in the region of chewing your own arm off just to get away before she could wake up and maybe bleeding to death could be better off than being humiliated in such a way. I guess it is a man thing! Kerstin took her camera with to try and capture something extrodinary/humiliating like this, but darling, I have news for you. This is one South African that can keep his head and if I have to admit it myself......Not even tequila or at least 5 bottles of rum can make me do weird things. I do swollow a lot and note that I'm only referring to alcohol.

Here I met another friend of Kerstin, Katrine. She is 21 years old and on her way to get married (I think this year sometime) to a guy called Oliver. Great people. I had this amazingly big pork (T-bone type) steak with mustard. OH my god, fucking awesome. Basically we ended speaking a lot about women (see, women together always tries to dominate their opinions on men and believe me I had to choose my words very accurately & correctly or I would have got the very cold dogbox, Schweinekalt) in job positions that were previously classified as men dominated positions. It ended up that by the mouths of these 2 girls that they do feel that men in Germany still holds all the high management positions. Sad but true. The first world (developed) countries are selling bullshit to the rest of the world. Shame on you fucking sleezy bastards. Look at South Africa, we are not first world by far, but at least we are doing what we are saying. Schweins! I hate politics!

So again, we went home, swollowed a couple of glasses of wine with Kerstin (Ja, sometime I need to drink wine to fit in and ja, Gordon can drink wine as well. It only gives me headaches and I do prefer beer) and then it was back to bed again. Sunday, well....Amazing! We were late for a champagne breakfast, but we ended up having breakfast around 11:30am at Kerstin friend's house with her fiancee. I had Weiswurst and I did love it. Try it with sweet mustard....Bru, awesome shit. After breakfast we ended up going to a town where Kerstin grew up in and we visit a fort/castle from the Roman Empire period. Kerstin told me that the last time she was at this fort was about 13 years ago....So, she took me with! Nice one gal! We also went to the Palace where the real big guys in the royal family stayed....Sorry, 2 much German words and I already have forgotton a lot of them.

Then again it was back home where Kerstin went to rest again. In the evening we went out to a spanish restaurant (Leon's.....bla bla bla) and the food was amazingly good (Tapas) and we did had a real nice time there. This was the final evening we spent together and it was as well my final evening in Germany. We went home and again like normal (Kerstin is actual very persuasive) making me drink wine. She had a conversation with Joern and then her dad on the phone. Her dad (who lives in Berlin or close to it) informed her that she was seen in Frankfurt with a big guy (I was told by Sandrine or someone in Berlin that I kind of dressed like the Russian Mafia) at the Roman Fort earlier the day and......well, security alert in Germany.

But the best was that after a good couple of glasses of wine and me being very persuasive at times got to play this one song (Jump....and it was also in the movie Love Actually.....where Hugh Grant got dancing in the window as England's Prime Minister) and Kesrtin started dancing. Imagine this real cute girl up on a chair doing some real pole dancing type thing and groovin along a real tussy song....Uhmmmm ja. It was really good although very funny, but I promised her that I will not show the video to anyone. So, don't bother to even ask me at all.....The answer is NO.

So, Kerstin really excited for the following day going to University after her foreign semester and her Internship (9 Months) and me knowing that it was time for me to go back home. The next morning whe said our Goodbyes and we were off to our NORMAL/REALITY lives. I really had such an incredible time with her and with everyone in Germany, London and Paris. I am so glad that I have so many good friends out there, but for now, I have to focus on my own life. And once again, I'm really happy to be ME again.

So, guys, if you go to Germany....Prepared to drink a lot. 'Cause I will go back and next time.....well leave it up to then.

Ciao